Chance Vaught F4U Corsair
Fighter Squadron FOUR ONE's distinguished history commenced on 1 June 1945, when it was commissioned at Naval Air Station, Chincoteague, Virginia. Flying the Chance-Vought F4U Corsair, the squadron moved to Naval Air Station, Norfolk, Virginia, in 1947. In July 1948, the squadron was designated Fighter Squadron THREE-B and in September of that year, it was re-designated Fighter Squadron FOUR ONE. The squadron made early deployments to the Mediterranean aboard the USS FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT (CV 42) and USS MIDWAY (CV 41) before changing its homeport to Jacksonville, Florida in January 1949. After being decommissioned for a short period of time, the Black Aces were re-commissioned in 1950 at Naval Air Station, Oceana, Virginia. They soon transitioned from the Corsair.
|Manufacturer:||Chance Vought Aircraft, Inc.|
|Power Plant:||2,100 hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800-18W|
|Dimensions:||Span 41'; length 33' 8|
|Weight:||14,670 lbs gross|
|Speed:||447 mph maximum|
|Range:||500 miles tactical|